Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cookies and Cream Fudge

Fudge. It's something I always thought was impossible to make at home and even though I wasn't / am not a big fan of the straight chocolate version, I was always sure to pick up a few squares of the cookies and cream version when I went to the fair or amusement park. I was looking up recipes for Oreo cupcakes ( I so plan to make those one day!) I found a recipe for Oreo fudge. It seemed easy enough so I decided I would at least try it.
Here is the recipe I used: Cookies and Cream Fudge

So I made it to the recipe to a T but if your going to use this recipe, USE MORE OREOS IN BIG CHUNKS AND A LOT OF THEM SHOULD HAVE THEIR CREAM TAKEN OUT. Sorry its in caps, but seriously it will make it taste so much better. As the recipe is stated, the fudge turns out to be tooth hurting sweet. I would also recommend cutting down the sugar at least a half cup but up to a full cup in a half, although the oreos would help cancel out some of the sweetness.

Also, like the recipe suggests, line the pan in aluminum foil it makes it a breeze getting the fudge out and on your counter so you can cut it ( Use a very sharp, long chef's knife that has been run through extremely hot water and wiped off). I made it in a 9 inch cake pan simply because it was what I had around,so the fudge was very thick which I am not a fan of so I cut it into very small chunks. I stored it in a Glad Container so it would not suck up fridge odors or get soggy.

The fudge turned out surprisingly creamy though, which is a texture I like. It does however still have a evaporated milk flavor which is not something I am quite fond of, but I am not sure if this recipe would work with fresh milk or if you could use sweetened condensed milk and skip the sugar and milk in the recipe altogether.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, thanks for your blog and all the great-looking recipes! You know how you have some recipes that are foolproof, and so good that you prize them like valuable belongings?

I had to send you these 3 for Lemon Curd, Scones, and Mock Devonshire Cream, since you like those. These scones are so easy and sooooo good that my mouth is watering just thinking about them. I did buy some real Devonshire cream, but I like this mock version even better. This Mock Cream with blackberry jam and a fresh scone is about the most heavenly thing I've ever eaten! Try them! : ) Thanks-

LEMON CURD

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk (skim, whole, or any)
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1.5 tsp grated lemon zest

Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan; gradually add milk, stirring well.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; gradually add egg to hot mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cook over med-low heat 2 minutes, remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
Stir in lemon juice and zest.

Chill until serving time. Spoon into tart shells or layer with blueberries and raspberries in a parfait glass.


SCONES

2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen,
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 tsp. almond extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

With a big sharp knife, cut the butter into 6-8 pieces.

Put all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.

Pulse the food processor. The dough will began to get crumbly, then form a big ball. Stop pulsing when dough is almost in a ball.

Place dough on a lightly floured surface and pat into a square about 3/4-inch thick.

Use a sharp knife to cut into triangles or squares. I make them small if I want smaller scones, such as tea size, or mini-muffin size.

Sprinkle Raw Sugar (Turbinado) on each scone. Run your finger over it, spreading & pressing the sugar in a little--the dough is not sticky, so sugar will just roll off if you don’t.
(You could use colored sugar for holiday events.)

Place on a cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake until just slightly golden, about 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.

You can flavor the scones in many ways! My favorite is just almond extract.
1/2 tsp. lemon oil, fresh rind, and blueberries for Lemon-blueberry.
Orange oil, rind and dried cranberries is popular.
Choc-chips, butterscotch or combination of chips.


MOCK DEVONSHIRE CREAM:

4 ounces mascarpone (I use cream cheese)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 or 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar

Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat until the mixture
holds its shape and looks like softly whipped cream.
Use right away or cover and refrigerate the cream until serving time.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups.